Skip to main content
SPRING HAS SPRUNG!



Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air. 
I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul!

We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking.

It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting ritual  at this time of year.  We saw a kestrel hovering and then diving, but it was unlucky, with some little critter getting away.

The  Tete a Tete's are looking very pretty, there yellow sunnyness brightening up the kitchen.




I'd love to have some hyacinths in the house, but find the scent too overpowering, which is why I love the little grape version, muscari.  I also love that once these flowers have done flowering, the bulbs can be planted in the garden for next spring.


We've driven past the allotment a few times and some folk were hard at it preparing their beds.  Mr's been so busy doing major alterations to one of our bedrooms, there just hasn't been the time to overhaul the plot, with visits being confined to grabbing whatever's still growing like leeks and kale.  The couple on the next two plots are retired, spending most of their time there and it shows as their plot looks ready to go, making ours look so much more neglected. Major work is needed to get it up to scratch before the growing season starts, but we did sow some chilli and tomato seeds at the weekend, which is a start.

I'm  now regularly brewing our own kombucha, which makes me feel very virtuous because it's so good for you and shop bought is so expensive.  My scoby  (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast)  has now produced  three more and I'm ecstatic.   I find the whole process very fascinating.


I didn't want to bin my excess scobies as they are so packed with goodies and found that you can add  pieces of them to your smoothies, to boost your probiotic intake and you can cut them up and dry them as super healthy dog treats too.

The next batch, which will be ready to bottle in seven days and will have fresh ginger and turmeric added for a different flavour.


I also have a batch of beetroot and garlic kvass that's almost ready.....such a beautiful colour.


In my effort to make us healthier,  I've been incorporating some new vegan dishes to our culinary repertoire.  BOSH keeps popping up on my Facebook feed, and some of their recipes sounded tempting, so I had a go at their 'Winter Warmer' (this was a couple of weeks ago when it was cold and comfort food was the order of the day).  I made a little vegetarian gravy and added it before popping on the mash, which I think made it a nicer consistency.



Mr,  who is a committed carnivore, gave it the thumbs up and said he didn't miss the meat at all. It's basically a veggie cottage pie, but tastier than it sounds and I served it with kale and sprout tops sauteed in butter and a splash of white wine.

Another vegan recipe that was an absolute smash hit was from Riverford Organics, Indian Masala Roasted carrots with Coconut Red Lentils. I served it with  spiced potato and kale and a mango raita. This one is definitely a keeper!



I'm in the process making a new crochet blanket for my sister, in creams and greens, which will compliment her  new sitting room colour scheme. The pattern is Lucy's (Attic 24) 'Wave' pattern, which is a lovely pattern that's quite addictive.  I spent a happy hour, sitting in the sun today, adding a few 'waves'.  It warmed up so much,  I had to completely change my outfit to something cooler. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the feeling of the sun on my skin was utter bliss.


It's the pattern Lucy created for her Moorland blanket, which I crocheted a while back.  You can see it here on the back of the sofa, with our little Elsie, who celebrated her Gotcha day on Sunday. Can't believe this little tinker has been with us for two years.


She really is a little diamond, who came to us at a time when our hearts were breaking.


Of course, we can't leave out her older sister, Pearl who we believe is approximately twelve years young!  I had to put a mat down in front of the gates today, as it's an early sun spot and she's shot out to lie on the gravel...ouch.  She doesn't seem to mind, but I'd rather she had a bit of comfort.


Well, I'm off to bring in some sun dried laundry and plan something suitably summery for tea.

Hoping all is good with you and yours.  Thanks for stopping by x

(If you want to try the recipes and the links don't work, please let me know and I'll send them via email)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p
TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh