Skip to main content



THINGS YOU DO FOR LOVE!

The one thing M absolutely loves is liver, well he loves all offal really,  whereas I find it quite repulsive especially the smell when cooking it. It's one of those Marmite things, you either love it or hate it.  I have tried it many, many times cooked in many different ways, but I'm afraid it just makes we want to barf. I even have to wear rubber gloves when handling it!

Cooking is one of M's favourite things too, he finds it relaxing but loves it when I cook him certain dishes, liver and bacon being one, so every  now and then I gird my loins and make it for him.

This is a very good value meal, which makes about three portions, two of which I freeze (saves me having to cook it too often, so win, win).
 
 
 
In a large casserole fry two chopped onions with two crushed cloves of garlic together. I also add two of M's favourite additions to this recipe, 1 large fresh chilli chopped and 2 teaspoons of this lovely stuff - smoked paprika, but feel free to omit these.
 
 

I usually add a tablespoon of tomato puree at this point, but I'd run out.  Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of dried thyme and salt and black pepper. In a separate pan fry off  2/3 rashers of smoked bacon cut into bite sized pieces and add to a casserole.  Put two tablespoons of plain flour on a large plate and add one teaspoon of dried thyme and a good pinch of salt and pepper and mix.  Wash off the liver and pat dry then toss in the flour until well coated. Pop it in the pan that was used for the bacon, adding a little oil and shallow fry in batches until brown and slightly crispy. Put the liver into the casserole with the other ingredients then deglaze the pan used to brown the bacon and liver with a little brandy, sherry or left over wine (water will also do) and put these juices into the casserole. Dissolve a stock cube in 200 ml of hot water, add to the casserole and stir. Put in a medium oven for 45 minutes and serve with crusty bread, boiled potatoes or whatever you fancy really.
 
Someone thought she might be getting some for tea...
 
Mmm...I smell liver!
To be honest, I thought all three of them would be chomping at my ankles while cooking this. Just look at that face...how could I not put a bit of liver on their tea!
Please Mum (drool, drool)
Well, I'd better decide what I'm having for tea then.

Comments

  1. I hate liver too! Yuck! Beautiful puppy pic! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
WE ARE NOT AMUSED! Her face says it all! As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister! However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it. I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the d