Skip to main content
LEL'S LASAGNE!

Just having a coffee break after a busy morning doing laundry, ironing and making tonight's dinner.


Please don't think I'm being swanky with the café style coffee glass and amaretti biscuits. I always make milky drinks in these glasses. I'm not a true coffee lover and prefer the sachets of coffee mocha choca or latte type drinks. I did spoil myself with a sprinkle of Spanish hot chocolate, which is heading up to it's sell by date. Ditto the amaretti biscuits, well January 2019 actually, but that's close enough for me to start munching them.  I bought them last Christmas from Lidl, but forgot they were in the cupboard. I've had a little nose into my cupboards with a view to an Autumnal clear out.  I can tell you, this is not going to be good for my waistline!

Yes, that's Pearl in the background, looking oh so sweetly asleep. She's spent most of the morning in the garden stalking our mole, but that's another post in itself.

For dinner, I've prepared my sister Lel's chicken and vegetable lasagne, as we haven't had it in an age. It's comfort food, but lighter than the conventional recipe, which of course I also love. Lel can't eat tomatoes, so came up with this alternative to the traditional lasagne recipe.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of fan of the Jamie Oliver school of cooking, the sort of bish, bash bosh approach.


I know I haven't cracked recipe presentation by a mile, but here goes, with  gratuitous pics that probably don't add much anyway.

In a large frying pan, put 2 tbs of oil and sautee one large finely chopped onion,  three carrots cut into halves, then quarters then thinly sliced. Cook for a few minutes.
Add half a large head of  broccoli, separating the florets into small florets and cutting the stalks in the same way as the carrots.
Add one red bell pepper, chopped into 2cm pieces, 2 to 3 crushed garlic cloves, 4 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp of dry, salt and ground black pepper.


Cut a large chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Push all of the veggies to the sides of the pan and pop the chopped chicken into the middle. Add a good dash of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and jostle about until browned.  I know the pan will seem quite full, but I just find this easier than doing each thing and taking out onto a plate, also, less washing up, win, win.


Mix everything together. Make half a pint of stock with boiling water and a chicken stock cube and add to pan, stir in.

Make a white sauce

I use 600 mls of milk, 60g each of butter and plain flour, a generous pinch each of ground black pepper and salt and 1 tsp of Dijon mustard. 


I put the whole lot in a saucepan on a medium heat and stir continuously but gently, with a balloon whisk until thickened.

Put a thin layer of chicken and veg mixture into the bottom of an oblong ovenproof dish, followed by a layer of dry pasta sheets. I could only get three sheets per layer in my dish. Spoon over another more generous layer of chicken and veg mix.


Top with  a few spoonfulls of sauce and then repeat until you've used up the chicken and veg.


Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with a cheese of your choice.  I had some frozen grated mozzarella that needed using up and a good final grate of parmesan. I sprinkled on some dry Italian seasoning, which is optional.


Bake in the oven on 200 for 30 to 45 mins, but check after 30 mins. It should be golden and bubbling.

We ate it with salad.


There were leftovers, which Mr. boxed up for his lunch tomorrow, and I plated up some for me too!


I felt this meal matched todays lovely sunny weather. Unfortunately, as we ate it, the wind started to whistle down the chimney and the skies opened.  Such is life!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
WE ARE NOT AMUSED! Her face says it all! As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister! However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it. I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the d