Skip to main content

GARDEN GOODIES AND FUN TIMES

It makes me so happy to have this little tin of blooms on my garden table.  Sweet peas, ox eye daisies, candy tuft, wild geranium with a couple of sprigs of oregano and dill.


Our roses have started to bloom, a little later than most people's I fancy.  This one's Arthur Bell and has a lovely subtle scent. I tried a little soft focus and I think it suits him.


This pretty little climber, Piroutte, is also slightly scented.


Heavily scented Teasing Georgia. I love this rose, but it's not happy in it's corner of the garden, so come autumn time, we plan to move it to the front garden.  



The garden is looking so summery at last. I can't say I'm loving the level of heat though, as about 20 celsius is my perfect temperature and we've been a wee bit higher, 32 as I type this.  This has meant weeding and watering the allotment has to be done after 6 pm.  Mr. sometimes goes there earlier, to do mowing or rotovating, as he adores the heat.

We are eating salad from the garden most days, either for lunch or supper and we're contemplating where we could fit another veggie trough in our already packed garden.  Those trays of squashes have now made it to the allotment.



Looking forward to harvesting these little beauties. On the allotment, they've always bolted but I can keep my beady eye on them in the garden.




We've just ordered two wrought iron baskets which Mr. will fix to our garden gates, to create two new strawberry beds, yes, more strawberry jam will have to be made and I want to make some strawberry vinegar too.

The best part of the week was the wonderful time we spent with our girl, M and her partner C, who came for a visit.  They're  both very arty and crafty in their spare time and C gave me a lovely candle that he'd made. They are just an prototype at the moment (can you call a candle a prototype?) as he works out fragrances and burning times, but I loved it, especially the bottle he chose.


We have talked about making some rhubarb gin later in the year, and I would so love some of these bottles to put it in. It's so pretty!


I made a Victoria sponge filled with homemade strawberry jam.  I have to say, it was one of the best I've ever made and I put it down to the recipe, the Womens Institiute method. You weigh your eggs and then use the same weight of butter, sugar, self raising flour plus a teaspoon of baking powder plus a pinch of salt. It's pretty foolproof, apart from the fact that using my electric oven always results in wonky, uneven sponges!  One of M's best friends came over with her little girl to help us eat it.  She's only four, but declared it 'scrumptious' and you can't get better feedback than that.


I managed to snag the last piece (cook's perks).....it looked lonely sitting in the tin.



C decided to treat us to a meal at a steak house that's recently opened.  They had saddles for seats at the bar, but only M had a go at sitting on one, my jeans being too tight. What possessed me to wear tight jeans when going out to eat?...twit!

The food was delicious and M's friend who works there bought us two bottles of wine to go with our meal, which was an unexpected treat and very sweet.

Mr. tried Gator bites for his starter  and they were really good.


M and I shared a Mozzarella plate.  The sauces and dips were outstanding, which isn't surprising when you find out they have quite a bit of bourbon in them.


The only downside was the loud country and western music blaring from various monitors around the restaurant. I must be getting old!  I won't bore you with more food pics, needless to say, it was steaks all round, apart from me. I had  Cajun spiced char-grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing. There will definitely be a return visit.

We had such a great time, my face really hurt from all the laughter.  M's phone gadget made for some hilarious pics. This reminds me of  the saying 'if the wind changes, you'll end up looking like that'..gulp!



 We  look like we've got mumps! 
M and C are on the cusp of a new business adventure and they wanted to celebrate with us. I can't say too much at the moment as there are still a few things to iron out, but needless to say, our girl is exuberantly happy.


When we got home we opened some bubbly, probably not the best idea after the wine.... I was a bit fragile next morning.  M's back down again at the end of the month for a couple of days, so saying goodbye this time wasn't quite as sad.

I had to smile when I went to open her bedroom window after they'd left  (yes, it will always be 'her' room in my mind) and found these.  When she lived at home, she was known as the glass hoarder and now, when visiting, she reverts back to old ways it seems. She laughed when I sent her this image, but a least she'd made the bed and left the room tidy!


Hoping you've had a lovely week too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
WE ARE NOT AMUSED! Her face says it all! As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister! However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it. I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the d