Skip to main content



The house felt a little nude, once Christmas had been removed, so I had a good tidy and clean, and up went the little twinkly lights and out come the candles.


The weather here has been lovely for this time of year,  a bit of sunshine most days and the odd gorgeous sunset, this one taken from my bathroom window this week.


I usually find January quite a hard month, like many people, so to remedy this we embrace the hygge.   I treated myself to this little book a while ago,  a lovely little read, just right for this time of year.  It's recommendations are really nothing new to this household. but it's nice that it now has a name.


We're making time for long, bracing walks every afternoon, then coming home, lighting the fire and candles and snuggling down with very contented and tired dogs, for the evening.


Sofa hogs!
We 're eating lots of  comfort food,  last nights offering being free range sausages, puy lentils, peppers, home grown kale in beefy red wine.  We mopped up with crusty warm bread, delicious!


As always, we made stock from our Christmas turkey, used some and froze some too, which I used this week to make turkey soup, served with homemade buttery toasted sourdough. This is definitely one of my favourite soups at this time of year.  You can't underestimate the power of bone broth, especially with all those nasty cold bugs that are going around...more on that later.


We still have some squash left from the allotment and this little Blue Hungarian stored very well. I'm roasting it for another soup recipe, which gets lunch sorted for next week.



I has wonderfully vibrant orange flesh and the aroma of cucumber, which is surprising.  I had a little nibble of the flesh and yes, it tasted a bit like cucumber.  We've not grown this variety before, but I've kept the seeds, so  will definitely be planting it again this year.


I don't indulge in all this 'let's get healthy' post Christmas malarky, .... it's the time I need cake most.    I had some manky bananas that needed using up, plus some left over marzipan and walnuts which resulted in a very tasty cake, lovely with  post walk cups of tea.


Mr. is quite partial to this particular cake, despite his protests that he really hasn't got a sweet tooth!


I have actually finished my bobble hat,  although it's a wee bit tight.  I think I may have a larger than average noggin or perhaps all those extra bits of naughty at Christmas have gone to my head, instead of my bum.


I used the brown and pink to  make a pom pom, but wasn't sure I liked it,  so made a cream flecked larger one and now cannot decide which to use.   Which one do you think would look best?   Just loving my little pom pom gadget, but in danger of pom pomming  everything,  it's so addictive!

I am indulging in a PJ day today, as I now have the lurgy that has been passing around these parts. I have a temperature and every time I cough, I feel like my head is splitting in two.  I've just had a freshly squeezed orange and raw honey toddy (Mr. is cosseting me) and at this moment, he's in the kitchen cooking up a hearty breakfast.  I will attempt to eat some, as like they say, feed a cold, starve a fever.

Hoping that you are all well, lurgy free and enjoying your 2019 so far xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p
TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh