Skip to main content

HIGH AS A KITE

Well, what an eventful Easter I had! Nah, not quite, as sadly on Good Friday I became incapacitated by a trapped nerve in my spine.  I'm now only on diazepam, which is a muscle relaxant, as the opiods really made me feel high and nauseous so I stopped taking them a few days ago.  I'd rather put up with the pain to be honest. The doctor said I had to sit on a straight backed dining chair for at least a month....no comfy sofas for me butI have a straight backed rocking chair which is perfect as I can rock my way out of it.... rock on!


As you can see, I have a nice comfy cushion for the small of my back, which I put together.  Remember this crochet circle?  I'd found another completed one in my craft cupboard, totally forgotten about and the cushion pad that I'd bought aeons ago. I had in mind matching cushions with different floral backings, but just crocheting the circles together was something I could do at the moment.  Mr, bless him,  fished them out of my craft cupboard, together with a few other things to keep me occupied.  It's nice that another WIP is ticked off my list.

I can see all the flaws with this cushion, due to the colour changes. On the up side, I'm still very pleased with my dining chairs makeover. I may do a post on how I did it if I can find enough pics.



Knitting proved a little difficult as being spaced out made me lose concentration. I ended up purling when I should have been knitting and vice versa, but only realised after I'd done a number of rows...so frustrating.   Crochet is just so rhythmic, especially something like granny square work which you can lose yourself in for a hour or so, having a good, slightly out there daydream or two ....the best kind.

I also read this brilliant book about the unlikely contributors to the success of the D Day landings, namely a strange array of double and triple agents (and many that didn't even exist)  who flooded German intelligence with fake information.  You would imagine a book of this kind could be a bit on the dry side, but Ben Macintyre's writing style and the antics that took place, made this a thoroughly enjoyable read.  If espionage interests you, this is a must.


The Commonwealth Games has also been a life saver as daytime tv is dire.  I was never that interested in sport years ago, but after the Olympic Games 2012, I became a fan.

Looking at all those fit young things made me realise that all this inactivity let's the pounds pile on and to that end, I started to cut out carbs.  I can actually potter about a bit now and Mr leaves everything I need within reach (I can't bend down) and I've been making fresh fruit and veg smoothies in the morning.


That looks disgusting, but was a lovely green colour, kiwi, kale and apple blitzed with fresh apple juice, so refreshing and quite filling.


One of my favourites, Greek salad for lunch.


Mr. thoroughly cleaned the end of our litter picker in order that I could use it to retrieve dropped items, mainly balls of wool.  It terrified Elsie for some reason and every time I went to use it,  she'd  bolt off and hide.   Well, over the week, I've been administering treats with it and as she's a food led pooch it worked!  At first she'd snatch the treat and run off, but now she doesn't mind at all and takes it quite gently.



I'm quite excited as I'm taking my first trip out of the house in a week this afternoon. A little potter around a garden centre might be nice, accompanied by tea and a naughty slice of cake...well I'm more mobile now, so it's allowed, isn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
WE ARE NOT AMUSED! Her face says it all! As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister! However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it. I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the d