Skip to main content


I ripped off my socks and put my Birkenstock's on this Saturday and it was fabulous. We put some blankets and cushions on our old wooden garden bench and drank wine in the sunshine, it was blissful.

What made it extra special was the arrival of our girl and her partner, for her birthday.  Her birthday was on the 12th and she has close friends with birthdays on the 13th, 14th and 15th of April.  On Friday they all got together for a night away in Bristol and had a great time.  We got to spend Saturday together and on Sunday went for a delicious carvery where my 'no carbs' went out of the window.  They had the most amazing Yorkshire puddings and I couldn't resist - yes I have the breaking strain of a Kitkat!

There are lots of buds appearing on our fruit trees, with the quince tree above looking it's best ever - we're hoping for our first fruit from it this year. Just look at the colour of that sky.  Not a cloud in sight.

This ornamental quince is one of the prettiest plants in the garden at the moment.


Stan the bay tree is bursting with buds and urgently needs a prune. If you fancy some bay leaves, let me know and I'll post you some, there'll be quite a few coming off!


Mr. has been tidying up and clearing out pots for replanting, but I persuaded him to leave this little one.  He says it's a weed, but I think it's really pretty.


Seeds were sown in the greenhouse, with us going back to using lengths of drainpipe as it was so successful last year. Transplanting to the allotment seed bed is a cinch, as you just slide the contents out along the groove you've made in the soil.


So far we have sown carrots, beetroot, leeks, rainbow chard and baby spinach. I planted the spinach on Thursday and blow me, there were  little sprouts this morning.  This give me such a kick, am I weird or not! In fairness, these were  put on the window sill in the kitchen and the heat from the Aga was responsible for the speed of germination.



My sandal wearing was short lived sadly, with socks and boots back on Sunday.  We even lit the fire Sunday evening, as it felt so chilly.

I know we're due a mini heatwave and Mr  will be hitting the allotment. Unfortunately, I will be consigned to sitting and knitting and I'm going to hate it.  I love getting my hands into the soil at this time of year, ripping out weeds and was looking forward to planting our potatoes, onions and garlic and prettifying the plot with him.  I'm not going to push it though, as I want to be back on form in order to be of use next month. 

Hoping your weekend included some sun and fun. Here's hoping we get more of it.


Thank you Mr for taking some of the pics  x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
WE ARE NOT AMUSED! Her face says it all! As I mentioned in a previous post, this Bernat dog coat was meant for Pearl, but despite measuring her from collar to the base of her tail, it worked up in a larger size (my tension was off, I guess) and swamped her.  Lucky that she has a slightly larger sister! However, someone was not at all happy with it, refusing to co-operate in my photo shoot.   I was hoping for a canine, Ellie McPherson style strut on the decking, but Elsie was having none of it and flatly refused to look at me. It's quite mild here at the moment but when we have a nice cold snap, she might be more appreciative of it. I have also finished my Nordic Shawl. I've already been wearing it in the evenings, before the fire is lit and it's so warm and cosy.  If you want a lovely warm item of clothing that crochets up really quickly, give this a go. Information and links showing lots of examples are in my previous post.   I ought to block it, as the d