Skip to main content


DOWN TIME

I’ve been getting very excited this last couple of weeks, due to  the fact that I’ve managed to persuade Mr to go on a short camping break.

We bought a tent years ago, on a whim, but never got around to using it. Every year I suggest we go camping, but various things conspire against it, more often than not, the good old UK weather.  I’m very much a fair weather camper, after some gruelling early experiences.  Not this time.  We packed up and off we went Sunday afternoon, taking pot luck on a campsite that doesn’t take bookings, but had great reviews.  We weren't disappointed.


You know when you have in your mind a picture perfect idea of how a planned trip will pan out. No traffic hold ups; beautiful weather; fantastic,  serene surroundings; no midges/mozzies;  no technology -  just sitting in dappled sunlight, with a good book or a bit of crochet, surrounded by trees.  This had been my little fantasy; unbelievably that’s exactly how it turned out.

We didn't even know what the tent looked like and had a laugh putting it up. It was just the right size for us, although it's supposed to sleep four to six, which I think would be a stretch.


Despite not being able to pre-book, we were informed most of the weekend campers left by Sunday lunchtime, so there was plenty of space. You just went and found a spot you liked and paid once you were set up. We pootled about before deciding on a pitch, quite close to the amenities (showers, loos and shop).   



We did opt for electric hook up to charge our phones, in case anyone needed to get in touch. Mark's Mum and Dad aren't in the best of health and we like them to know we can be contacted. 

It was incredibly quiet, even though there were families with young children and babies on site… you hardly heard a murmur and everyone you met would smile, say hello or sometimes stop for a chat.  I just wish life in general could mirror that.

These were the views from our little home from home.




So idyllic.





They have large camping fields on the outer part of the site, where they cater for school groups, which we only heard when they came down to use the facilities, but they were still very respectful of the other campers.


Pearl was on guard duty immediately, well, probably rabbit watch to be honest, Occasionally, she'd throw me an indignant look that said 'how dare you tether me woman'.  Because you'd be gone in a flash, never to be seen again Pearl!



A little girl took a shine to the dogs, but we only let her pet Pearl, who lapped it up.  Elsie is still a little scaredy-cat, and we're a little cautious of letting kids pet her.  She was quite happy to just watch the goings on, staying close to me.


We literally just lazed about, unwinding, in between exploring the site's woodland.


 Interesting finds.  Two parachute shelters ....somewhere for Forest school children to meet on rainy days.




Handy little signs to help you find your way.  Just what I'd need if I were on my own, as I have no sense of direction whatsoever. Couldn't find my way out of a wet paper bag, as they say.


Somewhere for parents/teachers to relax whilst overseeing the kiddies on the play equipment.


Our first meal that evening was salmon that we'd cooked and taken with us, accompanied by lentils in a vinaigrette dressing and salad.  Food was very basic after that, but still delicious.


We bought from the little, basically stocked, site shop. Who knew that tinned new potatoes tasted so delicious fried with egg and bacon. Yes, I'm eating meat again, I feel a bit of a failure and don't do it very often, but that darned bacon just smelled so good.  You can't beat a proper breakfast to set you up for the rest of the day and fuel long walks.


It's strange how good food tastes when cooked on a little gas cooker in the woods. We had contemplated taking very little with us in the way of food preparation, opting to eat out. However, we both love a decent cuppa first thing in the morning, so the cooker came, as did a few pots and pans in the end. So glad we did, as preparing and eating food under canvas (well, nylon) is part of the whole camping experience.


We even ended up taking the kitchen unit, well couldn't take the kitchen sink, so it was next best thing 😊


I loved snuggling down inside the bedroom tent, staring out at the trees. Of course, I nearly always had company in the form of our Elsie.



We found walks further afield that didn't form part of the site, which were totally stunning, spotting Sika deer which disappeared the minute I raised my camera.  I do love a bit of forest bathing, it's so good for the soul.




We were so hungry at meal times that minimal cooking was an asset.  Again, those delicious tinned spuds again.  I'm sure they wouldn't taste anywhere near as good if we cooked them at home.


I don't think Mr realised how much he needed this break.  He works so hard, at work and home, rarely sitting still for more than a few minutes and it was great to see him just unwinding before my eyes.


All the walks took their toll on the dogs even though they were nice shady walks, with plenty of water provided.

We packed their dog beds, but no, so much better to kip on the comfy airbed, with room to sprawl.



We had a couple of robins hanging around our tent, who came very close, as did a female blackbird who came right up to Mark, a large grub in her beak.  Wrens were fledging from a tree next to our tent and I managed to snap one that flew onto our car tyre.  Another almost flew into Mark's chest as he was sitting outside.


In the evening, the bats came out to play.  We have a bat box at home, but haven't seen much activity this year, despite sitting in the garden till quite late.  It was wonderful seeing them flit among the trees.

We did pop to the coast, which was only three miles away, staying only for a couple of hours, as it was surprisingly windy, and I was crabby because Mr said we couldn't take the beach shelter. I wanted to nestle down inside it, out of the sun and wind, but he said it would blow away, which left me feeling very miffed.  I did admit, albeit grudgingly, that he was probably right, and it was great getting back to our little tent.






Sadly, time just flew, as it does when you are enjoying life, and it was time to pack up and leave this lovely place,

We agreed that this is just the start and that although it's great to take the caravan for a week, for just a couple of nights away, the tent is the way to go.  I like the simplicity of it and have started planning our next get away.  It's difficult for us to take longer than a weeks break at a time because of our business, long weekends being more workable.

I hope wherever you are, you've had a wonderful week too. Now back to normality!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p