Skip to main content
PICTURE HEAVY DAY OUT

What a fabulous day!

As the weather for the weekend looked dire, we decided to shoot off to one of our favourite spots for a good romp this afternoon.

I did a quick bit of housework, as Mr. was at work this morning and I felt guilty about that.  I had to fortify  myself  first of course.


Had to finish up the Christmas squirty cream somehow and no, that's not an Amaretti biscuit perched on top.

We usually only take some bread rolls, cheese and a flask of coffee on days out, but as we decided on the plan yesterday, I baked a leek and stilton quiche. We'd already harvested some of our own leeks and crickey, they were strong.  I also had a pot of double cream from Christmas that was still in date and some left over stilton,  so they were used up.


To go with it, I  made a bulgur wheat salad, and for pud, yet more Christmas leftovers, Stollen cake.

The dogs always get fretful when we start making preparations, and I always wonder if it's because they're worried they won't be coming with us ......as if.

Elsie,  'come on let's go'.


Pearl,  always wanting to be in the front seat, I don't think so.


Our usual parking area was full, the one just before it was empty...should have known.


It's a working forest, and the reason no one had parked there (the locals are in the know) was because there had recently been logging and the tracks were rutted up. The bottom of this picture is where we came in and it was a quagmire.

Wouldn't mind some of this in my log shed



Now the Mr. had bought some brand, spanking new walking boots last Sunday and oh my, did he rub it in that his boots didn't leak, practically did a little dance.  In fairness, he did his best to find Mrs. Leaky boots a way around the wet sludge.


I love this place, you hardly see a soul.



They replant regularly, you can see some younger trees behind this log pile.


It takes some getting used to though.  When we first came here, it remained the same for a few years, then we visited and it looked plundered and we felt quite bereft about it.  Beautiful areas that we had come to love looked as though a meteor had hit them.  Over the years, we've gotten used to these changes, still hard though.

We headed to the pond, always a poignant place for us. Our oldies, Feebie and Roly, now sadly gone, used to love this place, running in and out of the water, cooling down on a hot day.





Pylons run through the forest which some might think ugly, but I find them quite architecturally beautiful.






The weather was very much of two halves. In one direction, very stormy clouds.



In the other, blue skies.




We drove to a picnic area for lunch, doggies getting their's first of course.


Ours tasted a lot better than it looks.


We decided to head to Studland Beach and stopped in a lay-by to take in the view.




The beach was very quiet and peaceful when we arrived which is how we love beaches.







We caught the ferry over to Poole.


We did a quick pit-stop at Asda (needed Swedish meatballs for tea) before heading home.

I am now sitting beside two comatose dogs, with the Mr. on the other sofa, fast asleep. 

I feel for people who have worked all week, with the weather sunny, only to hit the weekend and it pour with rain.  I have loved my day in a peaceful forest and on the beach, breathing in the sea air, so good for the soul.

Sorry this was so photo heavy and hoping you have a great weekend, despite any inclement weather coming your way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p