Skip to main content

STODGE AND TOAST SWEAT!

Are you a breakfast person, or like me, an elevenses type.  I have always struggled with breakfast, even as a kid.  My sister and brother would devour cereals, which I found disgusting, probably as I hated milk.  My most horrific breakfast as a child,  entailed my Mum presenting us with bowls of warm milk  in which sat a poached egg.  We sat around the table, thinking Mum had gone bonkers. Warm milk went with cereals, eggs went on toast. Well, apparently, this was a dish she loved as a child and quite common in Scotland. When we refused to tuck in, she went to each bowl with a fork and popped the eggs.  I do believe this was the moment I found I couldn’t ever eat a runny egg again, and I never have.  

I did love porridge though, because the milk was absorbed by the oats and with a big spoon of golden syrup, what’s not to like.  It had to be stodgy though, the kind your spoon could stand up in and when I ate Ready Brek, it had to be the same consistency. 

This bowl is the same one I used to have my porridge in as a child.  I rescued it when Dad moved house and was getting rid of stuff and I always eat my porridge it in.  Am I boring you yet!  


It’s strange, but porridge was the only thing I had a real craving for when I was carrying my daughter and I had to have it every day.  I’ve suddenly developed a thing for it again, but not for that reason , well it better not be!  It’s not because it’s winter either and I can’t explain it, I’m a toast person when it comes to morning food.  That’s another thing I’m funny about…..toast sweat, the steam that you get on a plate when hot toast is put on it…..revolting.  I have a toast rack somewhere, but resort to propping two slices up against each other until it’s stopped ‘sweating’, well there’s no other way to describe it!  Yes, I guess I’m just weird!

Anyway, enough of my twoddle, I’ve finished the Candy Cowl and I’m completely bobbled out by the edging!  


I want  to drop this  to my sister tomorrow, together with, fingers crossed, a nice pair of earrings that replicate the pair she wore to London last weekend.  This was another  annoying thing that happened on the trip. She hadn’t had them very long and thinks one of them got caught  in her scarf at some stage and that was that. She said it didn't matter, but I think it did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p