Skip to main content

SIMPLE PLEASURES

Line dried laundry is one of my favourite seasonal things. I don't use fabric conditioner when line drying,  as washing always feels softer after being blown about in fresh breezes and I want that lovely sunny, outdoorsy smell.


I've been itching to get my first load on the washing line, but was thwarted a few times, when on a sunny morn the farmers decided to muck spread. The dogs were in the garden for ten minutes one day and came in reeking, so a no go for laundry.   I don't mind, I chose to live in the countryside. I might have mentioned this before, it is a bug bear of mine - people who move to the countryside,  then start complaining when cockerels wake them up, or a barn is erected in a field that ruins their view or there are nasty smells.   I therefore have to put up with a bit of a pong when they fertilise the fields.

Anyhoo, Mr. found the little thingy in the gravel for line to sit in, took him some time, and voila, all good to go.  I'm all about the simple pleasures!

Another pleasure,,


 New walking boots (with my crocheted boot trims, one of my first makes that didn't just involve granny stitch...so proud).



It's taken ages to find a comfortable pair as I have awkward feet.  I really wanted an all leather pair like my lovely girl, but couldn't find a store that had them in my size, despite many attempts.  I could have bought them online, but a previous experience put me off and as I was desperate, leather and other materials had to do.

I last wore my old faithfuls in the slushy snow thaw and  they leaked like sieves. The pic below was taken when we were at the beach, in case you were thinking 'that snow looks odd'.

Just look at those cracks!

These eighteen year old boots have seen some miles, but I'm not binning them. They'll live in the shed on our allotment as I'm forever turning up there on the spur of the moment, wearing footwear that's not suitable for doing a spot of digging.

My new pair were half price and we had another £7.00 off by using our National Trust card....I loves a bargain!

Since the snow,  our local shop has had trouble supplying bread, so out came  the old bread maker for quick, simple and lazy bread making....


 ,,,, and you can't get any simpler than this.


I always keep bread flour and yeast in my larder. Hattie, my sourdough starter lives in the fridge, but that's a post for another day.

I keep my skimmed milk powder in the freezer. Prior to this, I kept the container in the fridge, but wouldn't use it up before the short use by date came round and I hate waste.  Look, I have a 'divine' beam, blessing my bread making endeavours, haha.


The loaf size is ideal for a small household.


Bread is another simple pleasure for me but I have a problem with shop bought and shouldn't really eat it.  I don't believe I have a gluten problem, it's the fact that commercial bread production doesn't allow for slow proving methods, therefore making the bread harder to digest. Sadly, this bread does affect me  for the same reason, as it proves and cooks in three hours so I don't eat as much of it as Mr, just the odd slice....with lashings of butter of course! 


Like I say,  my pleasures are simple and these are just three of them!

Do you have simple pleasures, I'd love to hear them xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p