Skip to main content
THE KNITTY GRITTIES

Well, my first steps into the world of knitting have begun.  I know in my heart that sock knitting is a little way off, I'm contemplating a month or so, ever the optimist.

I know it won't be plain sailing, but by hook and by crook (that's a needle you use in cable stitch...see I'm learning stuff!) I will get there!

I've had these two books for about two years now, which is when I first felt the urge to take up knitting.


I have the crochet version of the one below which I found incredibly helpful in learning that craft.  Hoping this one will be just as good.


I was given this Cath Kidston knitting kit by my lovely girl, a couple of year's ago now.  She knew I wanted to have a go at knitting, bless her, but I decided to concentrate on honing my crochet ability first. 


Also and I know this might sound ungrateful, but I really found the colour of the yarn provided very uninspiring.  Totally love the tin though!


This weekend, I managed to master casting on and plain and purl.  As you can see on my little pink square, I managed to get my rows muddled up and ended up with purl on my knit side.  I now know that when you have the knobbly side (purl) facing  you on the left hand needle, you knit purl and when you have the smooth 'v' pattern (knit) on the left needle facing you, you knit that stitch.  So much to learn!  I'm right handed, so this won't apply if you're a lefty,  I think.




I decided to try a nice simple pattern and spotted this while browsing through Ravelry. 


It's called the Aimee Snood by Kim Hargreaves, but then found it was no longer available ...just my luck. It looks so lovely, soft and drapey.  I then came across this little number that I'd picked up about two years ago (again when my mind was full of knitting) and I'd forgotten I had it.  It says Easy Knit on the front so I guess I might manage this without too many problems.   I even made a tension square!  It was out of course, too small.


I have also decided to make this for my sister.  I showed her the pattern and she loved it. Also she's tall and willowy and it will look fantastic on her.  I am well endowed of bosom, and this really won't help in disguising them.   Well, here goes...wish me luck. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TULIPS,  SOURDOUGH,  MANDALAS...OH, AND SNOW! I cannot believe we are already almost halfway through February.....where did January go for goodness sake? I've been treating myself to tulips, for which I'm a bit of a sucker, with this delicious bunch reminding me of rhubarb and custard sweets f or some reason. My affection for tulips at this time of year stems from the fact that they don't elicit itchy watery eyes and snotty, sniffly noses, symptoms that daffodils do.  Having said that, I have some Tete a Tete in the kitchen that will be coming into flower soon, so better stock up on the tissues. This bunch also called to me.....well, you can't have too many can you? I thought how nice they would look with  some sort of matching doily underneath them and a mandala sprang to mind.  I chose to this pattern one for it's design and colour palette and it proved to be an easy little make. The photo does not show the true colours, quelle suprise, as the ligh
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! Windows and doors have been flung open in the last few days,  to let in the unusually warm air.  I'm breaking out my summer clothing already!  Can't last Mr says, as there is a cold snap coming.... what a happy little soul! We've  moved the bench to the top of the garden again, as the lengthening days mean the sun remains there the longest.  It was still light at 6.00pm yesterday and we made the most of it sitting watching the birds on the feeder,  robins,  great, tufted, blue and long tailed tits, sparrows, when suddenly a sparrow hawk swooped straight across the garden and sadly that was the last of the bird activity, as they all had the sense to stay hidden.  Last year a sparrow hawk did this, again right in front of us, but it took a bird, which although is only nature at its rawest,  was still quite shocking. It's much the same when we walk the dogs, with skylarks swooping about in pairs, performing what I imagine is their courting r
IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR Trying to summon up the Christmas spirit here.  I normally love this time of year, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm at the moment. I broke out the Christmas mugs and indulged in a frothy, cream topped latte...nothing. Mr put up some decorations and lit our little 'ting, ting', as I call it, to try and trigger my Christmas spirit. He put up one of the indoor Christmas trees, which I decorated, whilst sipping a snowball, which did raise the spirits somewhat. I just feel like my brain is in a fug and have for a couple of weeks now.  I even struggled when I met up with my girlfriends a couple of days ago last week, finding it hard to contribute to the conversation.  I'm putting it down to the time of year, but I've also not been looking after myself properly, I know that.  Back to the healthy, more probiotic diet I think, just till Christmas proper arrives and I have plenty of it in the house.  When I was eating p